Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Humility

hu-mil-i-ty: noun - the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.

Photo "In Humility" courtesy of http://shop.jesusartusa.com
A friend sent an inspirational article to several people via email. The piece was entitled, "Acquiring Humility" and contained a list of 12 suggestions on how to humble yourself with references to biblical scriptures.

One of the reasons this article resonated so deeply with me is because for a while, although I thought I was a kind and caring person, I had developed a sense of self-importance--because I considered myself a kind and caring person. Ironic, right?

Acknowledge your sin to others (James 5:16)

I had convinced myself that as long as I centered my life around the care and service of others, I had a right to think highly of myself. I had endured the struggle of a childhood of abuse and emotional neglect and had emerged an adult with character, compassion and conviction. Although I felt happy, something was missing. Eventually, I realized what was missing from my life was a connection--a divine connection with God. I also realized that the life I had so carefully built was void of one significant truth: I was not all I thought I was! The world did not revolve around me and my self-appointed sense of entitlement. I was finally able to see that the greatness and importance I possessed were because of the life and blessings that God's grace had afforded me. This was the beginning of my new life, a life of true joy and humility. I had to die to self in order to really live!

Today, with the grace of God, I am more humble, grateful and loving and I give all the credit where it is truly due--To God. My unhealthy ego has left the building and my life has never been better. 

Humility is such an important topic because many people are struggling with issues of selfishness, narcissism, pride, anger, negativity and so many other unhealthy thoughts and attitudes. They do not understand why they are always attracting negative people, situations and strife into their lives. They have a way of making life harder than it has to be and insist on blaming everyone and everything except themselves for the lack of joy and peace in their lives.

I can only hope that through my testimony, others will be able to take an honest, realistic look at themselves and begin to make the necessary changes to live a virtuous life--a life filled with peace and joy. "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." ~ Matthew 6:33
 
Click here if you'd like to read the article that inspired this post. May God bless you and continue to enrich your life.

Please note that the original source of the attached article is unknown and I ask forgiveness if I am infringing on copyrighted material.

No comments:

Post a Comment